|Copyright 2005 Joey Atlas|
Everybody wants to lose weight. Even if its only that last five pounds. Joey Atlas gives you five proven weight loss tactics that go beyond the "eat low fat and walk for one hour each day" mantra of the mainstream.
You are ready to shed those energy draining, body crippling, unattractive extra pounds and you are ready to make it permanent this time. You are on the right track because you've taken the most important step toward your goal. That step is the decision to take action and stay committed. The following five proven strategies will serve as essential elements in your quest to achieve your weight loss goal.
1) You must put yourself into the right mindset. Don't think of your new efforts at weight loss as trying to do certain things every day. See your self living a new lifestyle, a new lifestyle that naturally includes behavior conducive to positive changes in your health and fitness levels. You transition into this new lifestyle by makng adjustments to your daily habits until these habits are in alignment with the goals you are aiming for.
2) Find an exerise partner. It can be a friend, a co-worker, or a family member. Why is this important? An exercise partner is a tremendous source of support. A partner is crucial on those days when you really don't feel up to exercising. Unless you are sick, a good partner won't let you slack and likewise your partner will need you to pull them up when they are not up for the workout. You being needed is an indirect but important type of support. With an exercise partner comes the element of accountability, which subconciously reinforces your committment to your quest.
3) Have a baby or get a puppy. These two strategies work in the same manner. I write about this one from first/second hand experience. My wife, Jeri-Jo, gave birth to our daughter, Darah, nine months ago. Today, she weighs less than she weighed before she got pregnant. What is the mechanism here? Jeri-Jo claims, "With Darah to care for, my mind is focused on her and her needs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at risk for malnutrition, but I don't eat out of boredom any more simply because there is always something to do. The day flies by and I don't have time to snack on foods that cause weight gain."
The puppy strategy is very similar to the baby strategy. If you are not playing with it, training it, feeding it, walking it or cleaning up after it you are too tired to overeat. And, before you know it your new puppy is done napping and ready for more activities. Like caring for a baby, your puppy requires a lot of attention and mental energy. This prevents many people from unnecessary snacking that prevents weight loss.
4) If you are not ready for a baby or a puppy then take a up a new hobby. A new hobby will get you out of the house, stimulate your mind and prevent you from eating out of boredom. If your hobby is a fitness related activity, such as mountain biking or hiking, then you are really going to make some progress.
5) Drink more water. I know, you've heard this one before. But, can you truthfully say you are doing it? Not many people can. Ponder this. You consist of about 73% water. Your body gives off water all day and all night. You must continuosly replenish your water levels in order for your body to function at its highest levels. Many fitness professionals talk about the metabolism slowing down as a result of too little food intake. However, just as important, yet rarely mentioned is water intake and its effect on metabolism. Not getting enough water can cause water retention and a slowing of the metabolism. Both of these can prevent weight loss and cause weight gain.
One little known strategy for boosting water intake is to drink 8 - 12 ounces as soon as you wake up. This helps wake up your metabolism. Another way to boost your water intake is to drink 10 - 12 ounces when you start to feel hungry. Instead of immediatly reaching for food, drink the water and see if that calms your hunger until you are ready for your next meal.
Each one of these strategies can help you lose weight. But, by utilizing all of them, you are creating a formula for success. A formula that can be the foundation of your new lifestyle.
About the Author
Joey Atlas, MS - Exercise Physiology, is considered one of the top personal trainers in the US. He is the author of the best selling audio CD "Controversial Secrets of a Personal Trainer", www.ControversialSecrets.com. Joey is a co-owner of GAC Personal Training, www.GACtraining.com, where he continues to guide people toward a better quality of life through proper exercise programming and nutritional guidance.
Pree-Teens Look to Steroids as "Magic Pill" for Fashionable Figures
Healthy fitness guru joins doctors, educators, coaches, event organizers, and others in urging young people to do things the old-fashioned way…with diet and exercise In an alarming trend that has continued to grow since the early 1990's, government...
Advice on Buying Poker Chip Sets
Complete chip sets should be purchased with a few things in mind: How many chips do you need? How much can you afford to pay for your chipset and how many players will be using the chips in a game. As with most things, you pay for quality and the...
Elliptical Trainers Vs Treadmills: Which One Is The Better Buy?
So which exercise machine is better: the treadmill or the elliptical trainer? While treadmills are still the #1 piece of home exercise equipment, elliptical trainers are quickly catching up. This leaves many people wondering 'Should I buy an...
See Your Way To Laser Eye Surgery
Electing to have corrective surgery on your eyes can be a great way to free yourself from the daily grind of constantly cleaning off and adjusting your glasses or cleaning contact lenses. This type of corrective surgery is quite common these days...
Protein Won't Make You Fat: Myth #1
How many magazines have you read where they tell you to take in X grams of protein? How many times have you see .75g of protein per lb of bodyweight or 1g maybe 1.5 for the advanced athlete or better yet 2g for the guy who really wants to grow! All...